June 10, 2011

The Cold Hard Ambiguity


And here I thought we had something like an emerging consensus, the sort of thing that seems impossible in matters of taste. Of course, I should have known better. I should have known that a consensus is not sustainable, and invariably, creates its own backlash. 

But in this case, I was so sure. This was not opinion, not taste, but fact. Cold press wasn't just preferable to icing hot coffee; it was better. Any cafe that did it wrong was immediately shit-listed.

And that's just the point: There was a right way, and there was a wrong way. Now? Now I'm being told that my infallible truth is a lie, that my rich, complex cold-brewed coffee is oxidized sludge. 

The world is flat. 2 + 2 = 5. You should brew hot coffee over ice.

Of course, my first reaction is to reject this as nothing more than contention for it's own sake. But first reactions are often not the best reactions, and certainly not the most educated. So, the only thing to do is to try it myself. 

And then, perhaps, I can start the inevitable backlash against the backlash. 

No comments:

Post a Comment