November 20, 2010

Diamonds in the Rough

http://www.eyeweekly.com/food/feature/article/103351

Before you do anything else, click the link above this text. In truth, you may have already done so, because I did put it first. But some people like instructions, and so here they are, in plain text.

That was the break for you to read. Okay. Done. Now then, on with the commenting.

This story was sent to me by a reader. On that note, thank you, and anyone with any similar suggestions is encouraged to send them my way. I'm only so creative, thus any help generating post topics is appreciated.

In any case, we've got a barista, who has worked at a decent list of places. In a blind taste test, he preferred 7-Eleven's coffee to several other, widely available coffees - perhaps most notably, Starbucks.

First of all, it is worth noting that, educated though this one man seems to be, he is still one man. And no matter how well informed an opinion may be, it's still just one. That needs to be said, obvious though it may be.

But, generally speaking, my reaction is a positive one. Though I enjoy sipping and slurping coffee from any given obscure region, the fact is that I appreciate good coffee - that is, merely good coffee. Frankly, that's what most people are going to drink most of the time. And, although 7-Eleven is the winner here, our barista seems to find pleasant things to say about most all the coffee he tastes.

This, to me, presents the rather optimistic notion that one need never be far away from palatable coffee. And that is a notion I want very much to believe in. Because, connoisseur though I fancy myself, I am, at heart, an addict.

No comments:

Post a Comment