February 5, 2013

I'll Manage

It would take far too many words and be a terrible misuse of your time to attempt to catch you up on the state of business at my shop.

Thus, the abridged version: The owner owns a new restaurant, which is not yet swimming in cash. As such, our belt is being tightened to compensate. Today, it went a notch too far. That's all I'll say about that.

A few hours ago I was contemplating some sort of rant here, a vile verbal binge. But since that time, two things have happened: 1) I've decided that would be in bad taste. 2) The problem is solved. I've managed a creative solution that saves money, jobs, and my sanity.

So I find myself, instead, in something of an exultant mood. I've never been called inspirational before today; and while I hardly think I'm deserving of the accolade, I'll enjoy it for now.

All I'll say is this: I believe that a good manager ought to put the shop and his/her employees first. Your job is not to maximize your own income. Do the right thing.

Today, I think I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment