December 29, 2010

The New Daily Grind

So remember how I said that my last post was my 100th? About that...

Turns out, I misread my own stats page. I've written 101 posts now, but only PUBLISHED 87 of them. Therefore, my centennial was premature. I figured I'd best point this out myself, before someone else noticed the gaff. Better to acknowledge the egg on one's face than to pretend it's not there.

But I digress. The Bodum coffee maker has made its way home now, and I really am happy with it. The first thing of note, which I hadn't considered before hearing the machine run, is how quietly it runs. I live with three other people, all of whom have jobs, and probably value their sleep. As such, I would really rather my grinder not wake them up. This one does not.

But while there is something to be said for ease of use, and quiet running, there is much more to be said for quality. And now, I have a consistent means of producing just that. The smell of fresh grounds, and the taste produced by them, is sharp, clear, distinctly delicious. It is not the sort of thing you'd miss -- unless you've had it. Then, you settle for nothing less. Now I don't have to. I can also produce a consistently fine grind, which is vital to producing a good cup of coffee using a pour over cone.

I would like to say more, and frequently, I do. But this is not a subject which lends itself to a long, rambling post. In truth, there is very little to say. I have a good grinder now, which allows me to drink better coffee at home than ever before. For this, I am very grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment