November 20, 2012

Thanksgiving Coffee

So this may surprise you, given my general tone, but I'm not going to write anything overly long and professorial about Thanksgiving, our grand imperialist festival that is now, mostly, about being forced to watch the Detroit Lions play football.

I'm not going to do that, both because others can do a much better job, and the reason is sort of besides the point now anyway. You hang out with family - blood relatives and otherwise. But most of all, hopefully, you reflect on how lucky you are, and think on all the wonderful people and things in your life.

No, that's not sarcasm.

My generation is known for it's lack of genuine sentiment, its indulgence in cynicism and sarcasm at the expense of genuine feeling. We're called - among many other things, of course - the "lost generation", considered to be wandering aimlessly, driven by either our fantastical whims or dystopic paranoia. We are a collection of twenty somethings that, taken on the whole, seems more motivated by who we are than what we do.

Well, whatever.

I don't know. I'm not - as if there could really be such a thing - a voice of this generation, or for anyone but myself. But so long as I am speaking for myself, I can disagree with that characterization, if only by displaying absolutely genuine sentiment.

So, that said, I'm genuinely thankful for quite a lot. To show my thanks, I'm going to give away my perfect Thanksgiving recipe!

Step one: Make awesome coffee.

Step two: Drink it black.

Step three: Feel superior to everyone else drinking artificially flavored pumpkin crap.

What was that about cynicism and sarcasm?

1 comment:

  1. Haha. And hear, hear. I think that, ironically, its cynical to pre-judge a generation for being cynical! Thanks for the coffee recipe ;)

    ReplyDelete